September 15 – October 15 is National Hispanic Heritage Month in the United States!
September 15 – October 15 is National Hispanic Heritage Month in the United States! I’m here to share some happenings, info, and ideas surrounding this occasion.
Celebrations at MLWGS:
- Thanks to Amanda Lemco, we will gather as a community on September 29 for a special musical performance
- Thanks to Wendy DeGroat, we will have a book display and a couple of library lunchtime events:
- a Spanish transcribe-a-thon with the Spanish Honor Society; and,
- a talk featuring two MLWGS teachers (Adam Rotche and Celie Boswell) who each walked the Camino de Santiago this summer.
- There’s a bulletin board commemorating the month on the 3rd floor across from the computer lab. If you have any related student works (or any students who would be interested in drawing directly on the board), please feel free to add to our display.
- Spanish teachers and students are highlighting this important month with activities and lessons in their classrooms.
There’s a rich array of RVA happenings surrounding the arts, dancing, performances, food, discussions, and more, as the Hispanic and Latinx/e community is our fastest-growing local population – check out this link for area events!
Respectfully submitted by:
Aparna Bansal Harger
Coordinator of Strategic Engagement
Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School